Monday, October 13, 2008

My Dad's Stuffing

No matter how many times I make this it will never ever be as good as my Dad's. I've had other people's stuffing and nothing compares to his. I think its the simplicity that I love. He knows we all love it and recently I have seen him "hide" some of it so he can have leftovers.

I am on to you Dad ::points to own eyes then to Dad's eyes then back at my own::

This year for Thanksgiving I was away (actually I think I have been away for the last 3 years...what is up with that?). Joey and I decided to make a turkey dinner for the 2 of us the Thursday before instead. Who doesn't love a turkey dinner? Shortly after putting the turkey in the oven we could smell it. Dinner time could not come soon enough!

Pepper added by Joey - far far far too much - why Joey why???

Ingredients
1 loaf of brown bread (or whole wheat, rye, 7 grain - basically any dark bread)
1/2 load of white bread
1 cup of finely diced celery (if you have a food processor use it - the smaller the better)
1 cup of finely diced onion
Sage
Salt and pepper
Margarine
Chicken stock

This made enough for a 9lb turkey.

1. Rip the bread into small pieces and place into a food processor to make fine bread crumbs.
2. Either dice celery very very finely or put it into a food processor.
3. Dice the onion and then add it and the celery to a pan with margarine in it. Cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
4. Add more margarine if the vegetables get dry.
5. Season with salt, pepper and sage (all to taste).
6. Add sage to the bread mixture (to taste).
7. Add vegetable to the bread mixture and blend.
8. If it seems dry then add some chicken stock until it is slightly moist.
9. Stuff into your turkey!

You can make this ahead of time and keep in your fridge for up to 2 days (in a sealed container/bag)

No comments: