Thursday, July 17, 2008

Joey's Birthday Cake

I decided to make Joey's birthday cake again this year. I don't know why because as soon as I decide to the temperature spikes and the humidity gets so bad I instantly get an afro. Last year was a disaster. I couldn't keep the cake or the icing cool enough to ice the frickin cake. This year I had a plan though. The AC was on full blast and I had the cold basement just in case.

I asked Joey what kind of cake he wanted. I wanted to do a chocolate peanut butter cake but he didn't want that - what the what? He is car-azy. He asked for banana cake - b.o.r.i.n.g to the max.

So I found a recipe for a jazzed up version that both he and I would like. I made a few changes but still had the same flavours in it.

Happy birthday Joey! I am glad you liked your cake (I only got 1 piece...he ate the rest...piggy piggy 2 by 4).

Pepper added by Joey - the pepper shaker took a break for the day

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup margarine
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas

1. Cream together the sugar, margarine and sour cream.
2. Add eggs one at a time, continuing to mix the batter.
3. Add vanilla extract and banana's.
4. Mix together all dry ingredients, then with the rest of the batter.
5. Grease a "meatloaf" pan and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a fork comes out "clean".
7. Allow the cake to cook completely (I left mine over night).
8. Remove the cake from the pan and slice it in half (left to right, not top to bottom).
9. Spread the goodness that is peanut butter on the top of the bottom half. Place the top back on.
10. Make your favourite kind of icing (I made a vanilla buttercream) and spread all over the cake.
11. Drizzle the top of the cake with caramel sauce.
12. Cut and serve!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just took this out of the oven and it smells delicious. I can't wait to dig in!