Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Mom's Dill Pickles

My mom came over to teach me how to can. I thought it would be simple enough but it is really a fine art. I am glad she came over as it was awesome to learn not only how to can but how to make some of her recipes that I grew up on. I look forward to canning some more and having my mom show me how to "sugar can".

Ingredients
Cucumbers - the medium size are the best
Dill weed
Mason jars with lids
Garlic, sliced (2 cloves per jar)
2 cups white vinegar
6 cups water
4 tablespoons pickling salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Wash the cucumbers well and pat dry.
2. Fill sink with boiling hot water and fill each jar with hot water and place into the sink.
3. Allow jars to sit in the sink for at least 5 minutes.
4. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the jar lids.
5. Add vinegar, water, pickling salt and brown sugar to a pot and bring to a boil.
6. Remove a jar from the sink and put some dill and garlic into the bottom of it.
7. Add the pickles into the jar, making sure to pack them in tightly.
8. Add more dill to the top of the jar.
9. Ladle the hot vinegar mixture into the jar until it is completely full.
10. Remove a lid from the hot water and secure the jar closed.

This recipe made 4 jars of pickles for me but I had some medium pickles and some smaller one's so we got alot per jar. You can always make more of the vinegar mixture if you run out of it.

Store the jars in a cool place (we put ours in the basement). Pickles will be ready in about 4 weeks.

No comments: